Lutein 20 mg is a carotenoid found in a vast number of fruits and vegetables.
Pure Encapsulations’ free-form Lutein is structurally identical to the lutein found naturally in spinach and other leafy greens.
- Lutein has antioxidant activity in various tissues but is one of only two that are stored within the retina, where lutein promotes the integrity and density of the macular pigment, a key component of ocular health.
- Multiple clinical studies suggest a direct relationship between lutein supplementation and macula lutein concentration.
- Lutein uptake reportedly occurs in the receptor layer of the eye through a soluble carotenoid-binding protein called tubulin.
- Clinical trials have indicated that lutein specifically supports vision health through a combination of pigment associated antioxidant protection and light screening mechanisms.
- Furthermore, a two-year, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study reported that lutein may support healthy visual function in older individuals more efficiently than alpha-tocopherol.