L-Carnitine is an amino acid found abundantly in skeletal and heart muscle.
Functions primarily to support fat utilization. Acts as a carrier of fatty acids into the mitochondria, where they are oxidized and converted to energy.
- Facilitates the removal of short and medium-chain fatty acids from the mitochondria that accumulate during normal metabolic processes.
- A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled trial involving 101 volunteers indicated that it helped maintain healthy cardiac enzymes including lipid peroxides and lactate dehydrogenase.
- In combination with other cardiovascular support agents, it supported ventricular function and superoxide dismutase enzyme activity in human volunteers.
- Long-term supplementation indicated positive support for cardiovascular health after a 3-year follow-up in adult subjects.
- A recent placebo-controlled clinical study found that supplementation helps physical recovery from high- intensity exercise.
- Contains 68% pure l-carnitine and 32% natural l-tartaric acid.