What Is Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement Good For?
What Are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Omega-3s are the nutrients you get from food (or supplements) that help in building and maintaining a healthy body.
They are used in the formation of cell membranes, reduce inflammation and assist in the circulation of oxygen uptake.
What Is The Difference Between Omega-3 And Fish Oil?
Fish oil and omega 3 are both different in structure and components.
Omega 3 fatty acid is a fat that is particularly polyunsaturated type. It has three forms such as ALA, EPA, and DHA.
DHA and EPA can be found in fish.
ALA can be derived from vegetable oil and walnuts or flaxseeds.
Both fish oil and omega 3 are beneficial to humans. It lowers blood cholesterol, thus preventing atherosclerosis. It also lowers hypertension and reduces triglycerides which means it lowers the risks of stroke and heart attack.
What Are The Ingredients Of Omega-3?
The three main omega-3 fatty acids are
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
ALA is found mainly in plant oils such as flaxseed, soybean, and canola oils.
DHA and EPA are found in fish and other seafood.<
10 Important Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplement Benefits
- Supports heart health.
- Helps treat certain mental health conditions.
- Supports eye health.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Supports healthy skin.
- Supports pregnancy and early life.
- Reduces liver fat.
- Improves Symptoms of depression.
- Improves attention and hyperactivity in children.
- Improves bone health.
Functions Of Omega-3 Fatty Acids In Your Body?
Omega-3 supports your whole body health functions it helps in lowering your cholesterol levels; lessens the risk of heart attacks, and many more reasons as follows:
- Crucial for many brain functions
- Decreases inflammation
- Decreases rate of arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat)
- Diminishes build-up of plaque in arteries
- Enhances insulin function
- Helps convert nutrients from food into usable forms of energy
- Improves immune function in infants
- Involved in cell-to-cell communication
- Is an important component of brain structure and function
- Is important for mitochondrial function (which produces energy for the cells)
- Lowers triglycerides
- Makes blood less “sticky” and less likely to form dangerous clots
- May decrease homocysteine levels, decreasing the risk for heart disease
- May help treat depression
- May protect against ischemic heart disease (decreased blood flow to the heart)
- May protect the brain from stroke
- Necessary for the normal development and function of the adrenal glands, brain, eyes, inner ear, and reproductive tract
Symptoms Of Omega-3 Deficiency In Your Body
Having omega-3 deficiency means that your body is not getting enough omega-3 fats from food or supplements, this may put your health at very high risk of negative side effects.
Here we’ll review 5 symptoms that may show whether your body is low on omega-3 or not:
- Skin Irritation or dryness
- Dry eyes
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Hair loss and thinning
- In addition to some less common symptoms
- Brittle nails
- Bumps on upper arms
- Cognitive decline
- Excessive urination
- Craving fatty foods
- Mood swings
- Tingling feeling in arms and legs
It’s important to note that there are no standard tests that can determine accurately or diagnose an omega-3 deficiency. However, there are various ways to analyze omega-3 levels.
Analyzing omega-3 levels (PFA) by weight by taking a blood sample
Analyzing fatty acid composition of RBC in the blood samples (this approach will be on long term of dietary intake of fats over several months)
Causes Of Omega-3 Deficiency:
Causes of Omega-3 deficiency can vary from one person to another; however scientists have suggested that some of those most common reasons are:
- Carnitine deficiency
- Excessive consumption of omega-6 fatty acids
- High intake of saturated fats
- Inability to absorb fatty acids
- Increased intake of sugar
- Increased intake of trans fatty acids
- Insufficient intake of dietary sources of omega-3s
- Insufficient intake of nutrients needed as cofactors
- Type 1 diabetes
Food Sources Of Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA)
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)
Fatty fish; (anchovies, herring, mackerel, salmon, sardines, and tuna)
Fatty fish; (anchovies, herring, mackerel, salmon, sardines, and tuna)
Dark green leafy vegetables
DHA- enriched eggs
Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil
Hemp seeds and hemp oil
Soybeans and soybean
Walnuts and walnut oil
Does Fish Oil Lower Cholesterol And Blood Pressure?
Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids, which have been proven clinically that it can help lower triglyceride levels and break up other fats in the body, which can only result in lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, and cardiovascular issues like a heart attack or stroke.
Other Conditions That Can Benefit From Omega-3:
Omega-3 is a highly essential supplement that many patients can benefit from including
- Aggressive behavior.
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Arthritis (rheumatoid and degenerative).
- Atherogenesis (fatty plaque in arteries).
- Atopic dermatitis.
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Bipolar disorder.
- Cancer of the breast, colon, lung, prostate, and skin (prevention).
- Cardiovascular disease.
- Cerebral palsy.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Coronary heart disease.
- Crohn’s disease.
- Cystic fibrosis.
- Down syndrome.
- Hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol).
- Hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Hypertriglyceridemia (high triglycerides).
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Macular degeneration.
- Malignant cardiac arrhythmias (prevention).
- Migraine headaches.
- Multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Postpartum depression.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Stroke (prevention and recovery).
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- Type 2 diabetes (prevention and treatment).
- Weight loss.
Recommended Dosage of Omega-3:
It is important that your intake of omega-6-fatty acids and omega-3-fatty acids maintain a proper ratio—between 3:1 and 6:1—or you may become deficient in omega-3s. (Where Omega 6 is the higher ratio)
Unfortunately, the standard American diet is very high in omega-6-fatty acids and very low in omega-3-fatty acids, so Americans (and most people worldwide) maintain a ratio of between 10:1 and 25:1.
That’s why it’s crucially important that you eat foods that are high in omega-3- fatty acids, or take omega-3 supplements to ensure the proper ratio!
Can I take Omega-3 Fish Oil Pills Supplements Daily?
Yes, you can take Omega-3 DAILY its dosage varies according to age as follows:
Adults -50 years old: 1,000 milligrams a day.
Adults +50 years old: 2,000 milligrams a day.
While ingesting omega-3 fatty acids it is preferred to take vitamin E to prevent oxidation. As well as, vitamins A, B, C, Biotin, Magnesium, Niacin, Zinc, and protein.
Omega-3 Side Effects And Who Should NOT Take Omega-3 Supplement:
Omega-3 does not have harmful side effects, however, if it was consumed in large doses, omega-3-fatty acids may act as a blood thinner, particularly in doses above 3,000 milligrams a day.
Omega-3 supplements may interfere with drugs that target blood-clotting conditions, such as warfarin (Coumadin)
It’s always important to speak with your healthcare provider or pharmacist to learn if any other medications you’re taking might contradict taking omega-3 supplements.
You can book an online consultation session with welltopia from here
- Bad breath
- Fishy taste
- Loose stools
- Stomach upset
How To Choose Best Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplement
- Check the EPA/DHA Levels
- Buy it from a trusted pharmacy.
How To Get Best The Best Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement?
Welltopia offers a variety of all the best omega-3s supplements in the USA in addition to our highly recommended product OmegaWell 820
OmegaWell 820 provides 820 mg of EPA and DHA Plus 50 mg of DPA.
DPA (docosapentaemoic acid) is natural triglyceride, the preferred form with superior absorption.
- Supports Cardiovascular Health and Blood Sugar Metabolism.
- Supports Cognitive Function and Development.
- Supports Healthy Skin, Joints, and Connective Tissues.
- Increases Visual and Ocular Health.
- Maintains Normal Inflammatory Balance.
Welltopia Pharmacy is a compounding pharmacy located in Wisconsin, Thiensville but you can order online and your order will reach you wherever you are.